Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (6 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 3
Guests: 60

Neanrsoi, AGleason, pantrydeca, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Critical for TM residents to vote in Lehi Primary
Not too shy to talk
From Traverse Mountain Lehi UT
SaveLehi, it seems transparency as a one-way street in this thread. Mark has been one of the few council members who has been invested in Traverse Mountain issues. That includes coming to commission meetings on our area plan and being at least cognizant of City commitments that seem to have vaporized for other Council members and the Mayor.

What do you think about the City buying property and TM and building a rec center? Why or why don't you think they should?

What do you think of high density development replacing single-family detached housing in Traverse Mountain?

Which candidates do you think are worthy of our vote?

Posted on: 2011/8/12 10:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Eagle Summit
"SaveLehi" seems to have abandoned the conversation but I'll chime in on a good point he/she made. This years election could definitely be themed "Getting back to the good ol' days." With two "citizen" (and by citizen I mean "disgruntled former Lehi city employee") initiatives on the ballot and four Initiative Supporting candidates with total financial backing from former former Mayor Greenwood-this is a return to yesteryear for Lehi City. The initiative issues are very important to defeat. One would cap salaries for all city employees, the other would make the residency requirement for all city employees more strict. There is nothing that smacks of good ol boy Lehi politics more than a residency requirement.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 19:25

Edited by Adam on 2011/11/7 10:44:06

Just popping in
Please read this article and especially the two comments attached to it. One of the comments is from the city attorney, Ryan Wood. It sheds light on the initiatives up for a vote soon. These initiatives will affect many good people and their families negatively and will directly impact the quality of service for Lehi. I will vote no on both initiatives. The initiatives are sponsored by Clint Carter (former city employee now running for City Council) and Ken Greenwood (former Mayor).

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/opini ... 6c-a49a-200fa9bf533d.html

Posted on: 2011/9/7 9:21

Just popping in
Just a reminder:

TODAY (TUESDAY) is the Primary election for the Lehi City Council.
WHERE: TM votes at Traverse Mountain Elementary.
TIME: Voting begins at 7 a.m. and ends at 8 p.m.

Hopefully as a community we can GET OUT TO VOTE and make a difference in the election. You can vote for 3 candidates.

Here are a few websites that detail the candidates running for Lehi City Council:

http://votelehi.info/
http://www.lehi-ut.gov/government/ele ... 1-city-council-candidates

Having been involved in Traverse Mountain issues for 5 years and having worked with several City Council members on these issues, I wanted to comment on some of the candidates running for Lehi City Council:

Paul Hancock
: Paul lives in Traverse Mountain and has been actively engaged in Traverse Mountain issues for years. He was the TM resident who spearheaded the successful effort to get an elementary school in Traverse Mountain. I have known Paul personally for several years. He is smart, accessible, level-headed and a good problem solver. I think he would be a great City Council member. Here is a link to his website: http://www.hancock4lehi.com/

Mark Johnson: Mark currently serves on the City Council and I have worked with him on several issues. Mark is consistently responsive to TM residents and puts in the time to really understand TM issues. When TM residents voice a concern he will usually call, write or meet with residents and then consider their input when coming up with a solution. In the recent Concept Plan approval process, he met with many residents regarding the issue, attended all of the planning commission meetings, and held a meeting with the city, residents and the developer in an attempt to come to a resolution. He also made sure that the final Concept Plan had a number of important conditions which addressed many residents' concerns.

Chris Condie:
Chris is a former resident of Traverse Mountain and has taken the time to understand TM concerns. I have read through a number of his position statements and think he is a solid City Council candidate. Here is a link to his website: http://www.condie4lehi.com/

At the "Meet the Candidates" night I was also impressed with Ryan Dooley.

Please get out to vote!

Thanks,
Marianne Ludlow

Posted on: 2011/9/12 23:32

Just popping in
I’m not into politics, but when my wife showed me the TM website, and I read the forum discussion entitled “Critical for TM residents to vote in Lehi Primary,” I became disgusted with the leaders of Lehi city. We all know that the development of Traverse Mountain was not handled properly by the Lehi City Council. The developers were catered to at our expense and at the Lehi taxpayer’s expense. So when I read that Lehi City has chosen Civil Science Engineering in most of their projects here in Lehi, I couldn’t believe it. Lorin Powell, our city Engineer, is the founder of Civil Science Engineering. Currently, Ed Collins, former city manager and husband of city councilwoman, Kaye Collins owns Civil Science Engineering. So here is the kicker….Ed Collins is the employer of city councilman and incumbent, Mark Johnson (he has worked for Civil Science for 18 months). Something smells here. Two people on the city council are directly associated with Civil Science Engineering, one is employed by the owner and the other is married to him (wouldn’t that make Kaye Collins co-owner?) Civil Science currently has three huge jobs on the Lehi City docket. These kinds of shenanigans are bad politics, at best. Mark Johnson is making himself out to be Traverse Mountain’s only hope for representation in Lehi City – check out his mailer. Vote for Mark, or you’ll “lose representation.” It seems to me that Civil Science Engineering is the Lehi City Council. Maybe it’s time for Traverse Mountain to incorporate like Cedar Hills did, and leave Lehi politics behind.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 13:05

Webmaster
From Hunter Chase
Fedup,

Thanks for your comments on the site. You are making some pretty serious accusations against some city council members. It's easy to look at a situation like that of Civil Science Engineering and to draw lines to city council members who have a potential conflict of interest.

The real question is what was done with their conflicts of interest. I've worked in city government and seen conflicts of interest go both ways. Sometimes, the person will declare their conflict and withdraw from any decision making authority. However, sometimes they abuse their position for their own benefit. The real question here is not whether there was a potential conflict of interest or not, but rather what was done about it. Do you have any reason to believe that any of these people used their influence to unfairly award business to themselves or their relatives?

It may be worthwhile to submit GRAMA requests to review the RFP process and proposal scoring to determine how and who awarded the contracts that resulted in Civil Science's business with the city. If those who created, scored, and awarded the RFPs did not have ties to these council members, then I have no problem with them being awarded to Civil Science, even if council members have connections to it.

If you have any additional information about this, other than high-level accusations, then please share. Otherwise, your accusations are just needlessly damaging to those accused and to our city.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 22:32

Just popping in
That's a good point Roger made that I think people need to remember; because there is a relationship that sounds shady doesn't mean that the person acted shady.

With that being said, I think that this situation might be different. I was looking through the minutes of the city council meeting where Civil Science was awarded the bid for Main Street. Mark Johnson recused himself from the discussion and vote, which is upstanding;however, Kaye Collins did not and her husband, Ed Collins, is part owner in the business! That infuriates me! In fact, she acknowledged her relationship. Here is the minutes from the council meeting on April 28,2011 (You can find this on the City Website.)

"Councilor Collins stated that she is married to someone who works for one of these firms and feels that doesn't affect her judgment and will not be recusing herself."

If you look at the business entity search for civil science you will see that he is a registered principal. If I understand right that means he owns greater than 10% of the business. This means that Kaye was economically benefited from her vote, and by state law should have recused herself.

My biggest fear is now that they forced Jamie Davidson out as City Administrator, the council will be looking to bring someone back that will play the same games that Ed Collins played when he was was the City Administrator. We as Lehi citizens cannot let that happen!

Posted on: 2011/11/5 20:54

Not too shy to talk
From Traverse Mountain Lehi UT
jazzbear12 said "forced Jamie Davidson out as City Administrator"...

Where did you get that info? Jamie said he loved working for Lehi and it was HE who decided to leave because it was "reevaluating his family life and it seemed like a good move" = better pay.

This actually makes the point why Proposition 4 & 5 are so shortsighted. He would have been capped or demoted under 4...he was already over or at maximum pay for a professional, so he moved on. He has no professional future with Lehi.

I also wonder why the same individual keeps posting here under different names with the same agenda of conspiracy by association vs. evidence.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 7:12

Just popping in
Maybe "forced" wasn't the best word for it. I have heard different reasons for him leaving, but I don't think he got a raise going from the City Administrator in Lehi to the Assistant in Orem. Again, I could be wrong about that. I guess it seems like Lehi has more potential than Orem since Lehi still has plenty more room to grow.

I think the facts show themselves in how Kaye votes. If Ed, her husband, is part owner in the company, and Kaye decides to vote on his company's contracts, there is a clear conflict of interest. Not just vote on an ordinary contract. On a contract of $39,000 with a $225,000 contingency! That's absurd!

Is there something I am missing that would make me see it as another way, as a non-conflict of interest?

Posted on: 2011/11/8 23:15

Home away from home
From Eagle Summit
I am not a lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt. My understanding of the Utah statute on Conflict of Interest simply says that an elected official must disclose their financial conflicts. It does not however, prevent them from voting on any statutes or legislation that would benefit them personally. In fact, as it is currently coded, I believe the statute even allows for elected officials to write and SPONSOR legislation that benefits them personally. Councilor Collins disclosed her financial interest in the company (although "works for" and "part owner of" are wildly different things to my mind) and then voted. That seems to follow the letter of the law as I understand it.

With that in mind, I think there is a difference between "Required by Law" and what "Should Be Done." I agree with jazzbear here that Councilor Collins should recuse herself from voting on anything that pertains to Civil Science. There is a fundamental difference between Councilor Johnson, essentially a rank and file employee, and Councilor Collins-a part owner in the company. I also find it interesting that Councilor Johnson recused himself from the vote while Councilor Collins felt no conflict. Still, as currently written, that is a personal decision. Councilor Collins has the right to vote on the issue and she obviously feels she can be impartial. Without evidence to the contrary, one cannot simply condemn her because of appearances.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 17:30

« 1 (2)